Monday, August 1, 2011

2 weeks left!

[Letter from 7/27/11]

Buon Giorno!

So I think this week wasn't very eventful, but here are the highlights...

We got new missionaries on Wednesday. There are 12 of them, 3 of which are sisters. All three of the sisters know some Italian, so they understand a lot of what we say when we speak Italian. One of those sisters was actually in my Italian 101 class at BYU freshman year. She continued to take Italian, where I didn't. But that was kind of fun. The Anziani said they weren't surprised we knew each other because apparently I know everyone. I just don't think they realize that I'm from Mesa (high amount of members) and went to BYU for 3 years...so I have had more time to meet people and make connections.

Speaking of people I do know, remember Dani High's ex-boyfriend, Braedon Lyons. He is here...I've seen him once, but didn't talk to him. Really shocking to see him. So Dani and Kaori, if you read this, write me back in talk to me further about this because it's crazy to me.

Rachel Kiene left on Monday. We got some last minute pictures and exchanged mission addresses. Super excited for her!

Thursday night I got to train the new missionaries with the zone leaders. It was kind of fun actually, but the branch president made me contact a sister in Italian in front of everyone for an example and then he made me say the closing prayer. I was really nervous to mess up or something, but he said I did really well under the pressure and my Italian sounds beautiful...doesn't mean I don't get nervous saying it though. I'm also sure I am going to speak in church this Sunday because I am the only sister who hasn't spoken yet and It's our last real sacrament meeting before we leave. Unfortunately, we don't find out if we are speaking until they are at the podium announcing the program. Kind of stressful, but I am pretty used to it now.

Monday night, at 2:15 a.m. the fire alarm in our building went off. It scared me so bad and I felt like the mom making sure all my sisters were awake and safely out of the building. We waited outside for like 15 minutes until a security guard told us we could go back in. Then the alarm went off again Tuesday evening. They said it was a malfunction in the alarm system and they fixed it. Let's hope so, because I was sure cranky on Tuesday from mission a lot of my sleep.

The temple opened yesterday and we got to do a session today! :-) I only get to go to the temple one more time for the next 16 months. Sad...

Happy Birthday Kendra Kae Ahlstrom!!! Hope you enjoy it! Write me!! (give this to kendra or relay the message please mom.)

Also, mom, thanks for sending me the e-mails of my friends. It's been so great to hear from them. They make me so excited to get out in the field.

Well, we are in the final stretch and we get our flight plans tomorrow. It felt like this day would never come, but now it is almost here. I am nervous but so excited to get out and serve the italian people. I love this gospel and I love getting to share it with others. I love getting to learn about it every day and strengthen my testimony by sharing it. I am so grateful to have this opportunity and have been able to meet the people I have. I am sad that half of my district is going to the Milan mission because I just love them all so much. These boys are definitely 19, but the things they do and say often remind me that they are servants of God and able to take part in the most important work on the earth. It's exciting to know that we get to take part in bringing Salvation unto the souls of those around us. I know Jesus lives and loves us and suffered for us because he loves us. I know that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God who restored this Gospel and translated the precious, sacred book of mormon. I love the prophet today and can't wait to invite others to follow his counsel and watch him at General Conference in October! Always remember that God is only a prayer away and is waiting to give us answers, love, guidance, and blessings. Just come unto him and be willing to submit to his will and follow the commandments. By doing this, we can recieve eternal happiness and joy with those we love!

Love always,
Sorella Heiner

No comments:

Post a Comment