[Email from 1/4/12]
Hello everyone...
So, New year's eve, we had to be in our apartments at 6 p.m. So we were out working and heading home just before then, when we saw these guys in an intersection stopping traffic. Then laying boxes of fireworks in the middle. So we stayed at watched. These guys launched off tons and tons of HUGE fireworks in the middle of an intersection. At one of these corners was a gas station. It was crazy and ridiculous. And some people in their cars just went right around these fireworks. It was so dangerous. I recorded all of it on my camera...but I don't think I can send it through e'mail. BUt it was funny. And then when we were in our apartment trying to go to bed and such, all we heard were loud cannon sounds of fireworks. We felt like we were in a war zone. It was like the cannon sounds from Pirates of the Caribbean on the Black Pearl. I am surprised I was able to sleep at all, but I managed. Apparently the thing most common for Italy for New Years is fireworks. This year they were supposed to be illegal, but they were everywhere, so there must not have been any cops working. ha But there were some deaths because of fireworks in Napoli or Taranto. And a Palazza caught on fire and killed and injured alot of people too. That is because they launch these big fireworks in small streets lined with apartments everywhere. It is crazy. And another tradition, is people throw furniture and dishes and things from the old year out their windows and get new ones for the new year. It is interesting. Ha and now I understand why we needed to be inside so early.
Dora called us yesterday and told us she doesn't know if she can get baptized because she doesn't feel secure yet and that she doesn't want to be a difficulty for us by making us keep visiting her. She actually tried that one on us once before... we tell her that we are here for her personally. And that we are happier when we get to see her. So she agreed to let us see her Thursday night. I know she is going to feel happy again when she meets with us. Because of the Holidays we haven't seen her for a week. And because of the holidays, she has missed 2 times of church. SO i think she is just missing the constant nourishment of the good word and spirit of god. So she will feel better once she gets back in the habit of seeing us and coming to church. But she needs alot of prayers because this is difficult for her. Pray for her.
Today we went to Matera for p'day. It was really cool. It is where they filmed Passion of Christ with Mel Gibson...well that's the rumor through missionaries. It was really pretty though. Old town Italy for sure. I took alot of pictures.
Love you all,
Sorella Heiner
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment