[Letter from 11/9/11]
Hey...
So here is my new address:
Sorella Heiner
Via Giulio Petroni 99B
70124 Bari
Italia
And no, I haven't recieve any mail within the last 2.5 weeks, but one of the Anziani who we work with here is Zone Leader and he is going to Rome for Conference with the Zone Leaders next week so I told Sorella Buma to bring them into Rome and he will bring stuff back for me. ALso...I forgot my retainer at Ladispoli. So asked Sorella Buma to send it and I still don't have it. So I am nervous about that. I do NOT want my teeth to get crooked.
But Bari...it's cool. It's a HUGE city, Kind of feels like what New York would be like or something. There are 8 missionaries in Bari. Two wards with a set of elders and a set of sisters in each. Our ward is great. THey are al SOO excited to have sisters. They said they haven't had sorelle in over 13 years. And every sunday after church, a family in the ward feeds the missionaries. This last sunday we went to
bishop's house. They are really great. The food is yummy, but they said they eat more seafood here in Bari. I haven't had any yet. Rumor has it that they eat liver alot here and HORSE. Gross!! I do not want to have that, but if they feed it to us, I guess I have to at least try it. My favorite food here is either the Panzarotti or Focaccia. Panzarotti are like giant hot pockets deep fried or baked. They are way yummy. And Focaccia is like really think pizza with just tomatoes and olives and seasonings on top.
I had to take the train down to Bari with 2 greenies. So they were depending on me to make sure we got there. I was really nervous, but we did fine. And on the train I made friends with two guys from Bari. One was a dad with two daughters around my age and the other was only 26...studying to become a priest who approves divorces for the
Catholic church. I talked with them about pretty much everything for the full 4 hours in ITALIAN. And I translated for the greenies so they could know what they were saying. I was quite surprised with my language skill. I guess I couldn't depend on Sorella Foote anymore, so it forced me to use it. It was fun though. and I am proud of myself.
Sunday night there were 2 baptisms for the other ward in Bari. It was an old couple, Angelo and Marinella. Sorella Hicks taught them with Sorella Ashman last transfer. So we ended us splitting the numbers so we each had one baptism. Ha our district leader laughed when we did it. But it just felt good. The baptism was beautiful and they looked so happy. A great addition to the church.
We have been doing ALOT of finding. Actually, pretty much all we do is finding. But when planning for yesterday, we looked at our map and the same street stood out to us. So we did finding on that street and were trying a new approach of singing I am a Child of God for people. No one had time or was even home, but this one door. A man opened it and let us in because he didn't live there, was just the cable guy and the owner can't walk really, so we walked in to talk with her. She was SO depressed and didn't want anything to do with us. SO I started small talk like where she was from and how I just got to Bari and such. She told us how she lost her husband and her son and now is all alone and has no desire to continue living. She said she just sits and watches tv all day. So we shared a little of the plan of salvation and just
testified to her of God's love for her and how Christ suffered specifically for her and knows how she feels. Then we asked to say a prayer with her and did that. Then she let us sing and by the end of the visit, was smiling. She invited us to come back anytime we want because she's always home. Her name is Jenny (spelling italian way I am not sure...if it even exists). She is 90 years old. And we know for a fact that we went on that street to find her and bring her a piece of joy. It was the best feeling ever!! I just love her so much already and want her to feel happy.
And then we had anothing really big exciting miracle Tuesday....WE SET A BAPTISMAL DATE!!! So the anziani told us about this young girl Stefania who is not a member, but comes to church and institute and everything as though she is already a member and she is dating an RM from another city close to here. So we went to church and this Stefania (23 years old) came up to us and started talking to us. And kind of hovered around us for awhile, so Sorella Hicks just asked her if we could meet with her sometime this week to teach her. She said yes, gave us number and address and exact time and set up herself for us to do it at a members house who lives near her. Then Monday she even called the members to confirm and called us right before we could call her to confirm. How great is that? So we had been praying for this lesson. We didn't want to mess it up. And we felt like November 26 would be good. So we went to the lesson, found out she read the BOM twice already. And has read the Bible. Has a testimony of it. Was quoting the BOM and everything. So the moment of truth came. We invited her to be baptized on the 26th and the first thing she said
was that she would be at the temple in Switzerland. Then the father of the member family in the lesson with us was backing us up completely about how great he feels about that date for a goal and it's a perfect time. So she agreed and is going to be at the temple (hanging around outside and doing geneology while the members are in it) that whole week before and then come home the morning of the 26th and be baptized
that evening. And we have about 4 lessons with her to teach her everything before she has to have her interview which we planned too. Everything is just set. It was like she was just waiting, begging us to ask her. We are so excited. The Anziani tried to meet with her and she wouldn't take the lessons. We think it is because they are guys and she felt wierd or something. Who knows, but she is on date. I am
so happy!
This opening up an area is weird. But liberating at the same time. I have never felt more guided by the spirit than right now. Neither of us know the area or the members, but we just follow any promptings we get. I still wonder why I got put here with such a great responsibility, because I don't feel capable. But the Lord must have some plan. The first part was to help Stefania to baptism. The next is a blank page, waiting to be filled. We called this a transfer of miracles...and in the first week, it already is. Love this work. Love the book of mormon. Love the savior. Love these crazy italian people. And love all of you back home.
Love you all,
Sorella Heiner
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment